2018 has been an outstanding year of achievement for Wild Moors. Thank you to all of our supporters, who have helped ensure it has been our most successful yet:
- Grouse shooting banned on Ilkley Moor and under review on Denton Moor.
- Over 17,000 people contacting Yorkshire Water to urge the company to end grouse shooting on its land – making grouse shooting one of the top topics of customer complaint.
- Outreach events for our Yorkshire Water campaign held in 11 towns and cities across Yorkshire, including high-profile demonstrations in Hebden Bridge and Haworth. Over 200 people have joined our events to support a grouse shooting ban.
- Investigations performed on 7 randomly-chosen moors where Yorkshire Water allows grouse shooting – documenting wildlife persecution and environmental damage.
- Wildlife protected from persecution, with snaring sites and stink pits decommissioned by landowners following our investigations.
- Over 20 media pieces secured on our Yorkshire Water campaign since July – taking the campaign to millions of people through TV, newspaper and radio coverage across the county.
- A policy commitment from the Labour Party to hold a public inquiry into grouse shooting to guide steps towards a ban. The move followed MPs across Yorkshire publicly backing a grouse shooting ban for the first time.
The Year Ahead
If this year has been characterised by change, then what will next year bring? By working together we are determined to bring about more significant successes towards ending grouse shooting once and for all. By bringing the realities of grouse shooting from isolated moorlands to boardrooms and communities, we are inspiring those with the power to end the practice to act. Ours is an honest approach, underpinned by integrity and dedication.
On behalf of Wild Moors, we wish you a very happy Christmas and New Year. We look forward to continuing this progress into 2019.
P.S. If you’re looking for a New Year’s resolution, why not set a challenge to collect 100 postcards from your friends and family to urge Yorkshire Water to drop grouse shooting? You can order a pack for free here.